Windows Home Server 2011 restore – could not load VDS

 

Hi,

I just had an interesting encounter with my Windows Home Server when attempting to restore one of my machines. Turns out, it was impossible when following the instructions.

I’ve been hunting the web since early yesterday evening, and not until now, I managed to figure out the very simple (but odd) solution.

My machine is a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit machine, with raided disks.

Logically, I select “restore a 64 bit machine” when booting from the USB stick, and move through the process of selecting which partitions to restore on what drives. Flawless and quick operation as usual, up to the point where it’s actually starting the restore.

This is a snippet from the log file once the restore fails (which is pretty much instantly when it’s attempting the restore) ;

Restore – we are in state reconnectable
Restore started.
Recreating volumes 1 (0x80080005)
ERROR: Failed to initialize VDS, 0x80080005
Restore Helper :: T_Restore: Unable to recreate volumes
Restore Helper :: T_Restore: restore complete with return Value 536870913
ERROR: CDialog_Restore :: Completed failed, HR = 0x80070001 (at func: CDialog_ restore completed, d: \ wssg_src \ colorado_qfe \ baclup \ pc \ bmr \ restore wizard \ dialog_restore.cpp

Really makes no sense. Several attempts where made, and it still bombs out in the same place. Always.

I’ve followed some of the posts mentioning firewall on the WHS, others mention manual creating of partitions because the system would somehow not be able to create them by itself. Others also say “try and try again, eventuelly it will work – it did for me!”.

All false!

The simple solution that got me past this problem was to select to restore a 32 bit system instead.

Why? Good question. I have no idea, but that’s what got me through the issue after a few hours of banging my head to the wall.

 

9 thoughts to “Windows Home Server 2011 restore – could not load VDS”

  1. +1 for the comment about using the 32 bit option. It worked for me. With the 64 bit option I got the error above.

    Another issue for me is that I replaced the failed SSD with a HD from an old Mac. The WHS disk configuration utility couldn’t remove the partitions on the HD. In the end I used a Windows 7 install CD to access the partition manager from that (and then turned off the PC and went back to the WHS restore DVD)



    Report comment
  2. FYI, I was having the same 0×80080005 error, and after a methodical series of options permutations, I just started from the USB stick (not in UEFI mode), went for 32-bit (I have a 64-bit OS), loaded NIC drivers (Realtek Giagbit Ethernet) from the stick, entered my password, deleted the partition (I actually had to delete all partitions on the drive as I wanted to make a target partition bigger than the source image), let it format (not quick format, that didn’t work last time), right-clicked the partition and hit Mark As Active, and then restore magically started working.



    Report comment

Leave a Reply