Vu+ with Black Hole v2 image and MGcamd – made easy!

BEFORE PROCEEDING, PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING IF THIS POST HELPED YOU OUT. DONATIONS WILL KEEP ME MOTIVATED!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This post is based on my previous posts on the same subject – keep them handy for reference.

728x90 welcomebonus

Since I created my original How To post for the v1.7.6 Black Hole + mgcamd back in August 2012, I’ve gotten repeated questions about if I was interested in updating my post for newer BH images, and maybe even making the installation easier.

After some careful consideration, I realised that alot of people are making silly amounts of money of preparing these boxes – when it really is a piece of cake. In this updated post, I’ve included a small *NIX shell script that does all the dirty work for you. No need to get your hands too dirty with the command line interface – some manual work WILL be required, but don’t be alarmed!

I’ll write and screenshot your way through.

First of all – download my zip file here. The zip contains everything you need to get Black Hole v2 and MGcamd 1.35a loaded on any Vu+ box – Solo, Solo2, SoloSE, Uno, Duo, Duo2 and Ultimate. My script is assuming you use the extended newcamd protocol, and not separate ports. If you use separate ports for each card, you need to edit the configuration manually (or bug me enough to update the script to take that into account – it’s doable, I just don’t think anyone is doing it that way).

The zip also includes some settings specific for the Vu+ boxes, and hopefully makes sure that you don’t have to care about the Vu+ and black screen issue I’ve written about previously.

You should also download and install PuTTy if you don’t have PuTTy or another telnet client – PuTTy a free telnet and SSH client, perfect for our need here since you will telnet into the Vu+ settopbox to finalize the configuration:

Now, go find an USB device, 2GB is more than enough for this purpose. I used an USB stick that was shipped with some Clavister units I prepped some time ago.

IMG_20130712_212322

Make sure you format it as specified. FAT32 will not work.

e4f4cba2cef90068c8afc5b401eb1299

Copy the files from the ZIP directly into the root of your USB card. Your USB device should only contain one directory named “vuplus”, four .tgz files, mg_cfg, satellites.xml and a .sh fle. Just like this picture.

directory2

Next step – plug your USB stick into the FRONT USB port of your reciever. Now, it’s time to put the power cable in, and with that, powering on the unit. If your USB stick doesn’t have an activity light, pay attention now.

For Duo: Update is done when complete message is displayed on the VFD.

For Solo: Update is done when green light blinks on the front panel.

For Uno: Push Ch- button when message shows. Update is done when complete message is displayed on the VFD.

For Ultimo: Push – button when message shows. Update is done when complete message is displayed on the VFD.

For Solo2: Push power button when message shows. Update is done when complete message is displayed on the VFD.

For Zero: Update is done when LED blinks on the front panel.

Please note, any button presses refers to the actual unit, not the remote control.

Once the unit has gotten power, the power light will remain red for quite some time. With my very slow Clavister USB stick, the upgrade/reflash took almost 5 minutes with both a Uno and Solo box.

It’ll remain red until completed – and once completed, the power light will *blink* green, twice per second if you don’t have a display, and otherwise it’ll say “Finished. Remove USB and reboot” when it’s done. If something goes wrong, odds are you’ll see another colour pattern blinking and an actual error message if you have a display. Fear not, try the power cycle again. If this fails, you might want go for another USB stick as the one you’re using could be defect.

Unplug the USB stick in the front. Leave it out for now. Power cycle the unit, and you’ll end up with the main Black Hole screen, stating “starting GUI”. Press the menu button, and do the basic configuration – like language, network, resolution etc. Use the Wizard to set up all basic features.

Once you have gone through everything, it’s time to plug the USB stick into the back of the Vu+ box.

To find your Vu+ IP, press the MENU button, and then setup => system => network => adapter settings.

Now, telnet from your PC using putty to the IP as found above, and login using the username “root”. See below for the rest.

putty

telnet-login

NOTE NOTE NOTE: Please be aware of that IF your device has an internal harddrive, the device name “sda1” will likely be named “sdb1” instead. Please adjust your input commands accordingly. A big thanks to gjersbol for pointing it out!

This script will copy the relevant files, and ask some configuration questions for mgcamd. Once you get to the “press any key to continue”, just press enter to start going through the install – and answer any questions that pops up.

Once the script has been completed, it’s time to install mgcamd and make sure it’s the default cam to use.

Use your remote control. Press the green button, directly followed by yellow button. Select the menu option to manually install a Bh package. Make sure you pick the package Mgcamd_135a_E2_bh.

When finished, exit the way back to the main screen, and press the BLUE button. Select Mgcamd-135a as your cam.

Boom. After using the built in functions to scan for channels, you’re good to go. Your Mgcamd configuration will be used to decode any incoming channels that your subscription card carries.

Remember that using the information in this post is your own responsibility. If you use it for illegal activities, I will be fairly disappointed. If you use it to expand your own subscription card into the bedroom or the upstairs TV, you are most likely violating the subscription terms, but not any swedish laws that I know of. (If I’m wrong here, please let me know and I’ll adjust/remove the relevant posts accordingly). If you blow up your box, you probably didn’t follow my guide exactly – again, not my fault at all.

Don’t forget to leave a note in the comments section if you used my guide – successful or not, I really want your feedback!

Good luck!

PS. The latest Black Hole image seems to be supporting IPv6 fully. That’s a good thing. Unfortunally, Mgcamd does not support IPv6. If anyone knows of a worthy replacement cam that works over IPv6, let me know in the comments section and I’ll look into it.

27 thoughts to “Vu+ with Black Hole v2 image and MGcamd – made easy!”

1. Hei Hans,
    happy to have found your site, as my Ultimo got stuck yesterday. Wanted to format a USB-stick for the upgrade, but the FILE SYSTEM alternatives on my WIN 8 pc were NTFS, FAT32 (Default) and ExFAT. Will any of these work???
    Best regards

Hans-Chr., Oslo

2. Tried this guide on my new vu+ solo2.

When running the script it asks for server ip and port etc.
    I cant see you mentioned it in your step by step.

After everthing installed and set to use the softcam i still cant see my encrypted canal digital channels.

Unencrypted chanels like al-jazeera works.

does this guide not work for canal digital ?

3. Hi Hans,
    Thanks for a great guide!
    I bought a VU+ Duo2 yesterday and get the black screen.
    I followed your guide to solve the black screen issue but it doesnt help.
    Questions:
    1) I want to use my Canal Digital Card, only use it in my VU+ box, is this all I need?
    2) When running the scripts above, ip address and port number, is it the same as when connecting using puTTY?
    3) DES key, can you tell something about it? Can I write anything, generate it or how do I get a working DES key? Now I just wrote “01 02 03”
    4) In what card reader shall I insert the Canal Digital card?

Best regards,
    Christian
    Stockholm, Sweden

1. Hello Christian!

If I were you, I’d start this guide all over again – but ignoring the section (and those after) where you plug the stick in the back of the box. These steps are not necessary if you don’t have a server (CSP/oscam) setup in your house.

Instead: Install CCcam from the plugins menu, and then start it from the softcam menu. This should by default enable the built in card readers to allow you to use your subscription card directly in the reciever. This is also true for Viasat setups, except that you are unable to watch Viasat HD channels using this hardware with your own subscription card due to their anti piracy protection.

The Vu+ boxes has no “real” built in CONAX reader, but the card readers are fully controlled by software (ie softcams) that you need to install before you can take advantage of them.

If the CCcam installation fails or doesnt exist, follow this guide on how to download and install the CCcam package:

Good luck! :-)

4. Thanks for quick reply !!
    I can’t find any CCcam to install from within BlackHole.
    When installing that CCam I get an error message and it disappears fast,
    Any ideas where I can find log files and troubleshoot? :)

Thanks a lot !!

best regards,
    Chroistian

5. Hei Hans,

Is your image still working with Canal Digital (Norge) cards? I cannot get any Canal Digital channels to clear on my Solo 2 (BH 2.1.4 uncustomised). Next step is to try you image and see if it works. I only want to go through that pain if it works!

Hilsen

Dan

1. Hi,

Look at the replies given to Christian above for some hints on how to make your subscription card work in the Vu+. This post does not cover this, but it’s for if you have a server at home where you share your subscription between, for example, a DVBLogic installation and a Vu+ box.

(And yes, this is for sure breaking the subscription terms, and as far as I know, atleast swedish law is now broken aswell if you follow these instructions. As this post was made before the law changed, I am not removing the post – but I am not giving any support what so ever for it either. But, if you have further questions on how to get your card working in the Vu+ – ask away! :-) )

1. Hei Hans, thanks for the response. No I don’t need to share the subscription between different boxes. Only to get the card working in the receiver. I tried to explain to my 6 year old this morning about the difficulties getting softcams operational, but it was a futile effort as she just wanted Disney Jr…

1. I know, I have the same problem. Kids these days, and people say kids are awesome at this computer magic. Hah! ;-)

No, on a more serious note – CCcam is what you want. With that installed, your CD card should work out of the box. AFAIK, CD has not yet implemented sharing or higher security with box pairing as Viasat has, but I guess it’s just a matter of time before that happenns.

Don’t forget to look into the Enigma2 Plex client for streaming your home hosted media to your Vu+ box. No need to have a separate media player. IIRC, I also believe you can get the NRK Play etc channels working in the box aswell – but I haven’t had a Vu+ to play with for ages now, so my memory might be failing me.

6. Hi Hans, I am trying to download your latest zip file but it won’t work. I get a very slow download speed and also end up with a network error. I also see that the file size is extremely large compared to your older zip files. 1.2Gb compared to around 253Mb earlier.
    Any help to download your great file would be appreciated.
    Regards, John

1. Hello,

Not sure what is going on with the slow download speeds and aborts – its performing more than well for me when I am trying. The size is correct, I was asked to include the latest Blackhole image to Prismcube in the zip, so I did. Same way of upgrading as with the Vu+. No other changes has been made to the archive.

Let me know if you are still having issues with downloading!

1. Hi Hans, the file that contains the blackhole215 with mgcamd files seems to be not working for me when trying to unzip, gets an error when using winzip; error damaged file or unknown format.. please help me..

2. Hi Hans,
        I have had the same problem reported by John Martin Roos. I got a very slow download and end up with a network error.
        Any help to download your great file would be appreciated.
        regards,
        Olivier

7. I’ve installed the image as you specified above on the a VU+ Duo and it seems to have installed fine. But after reboot I am just getting the message on screen saying “Starting…” and nothing appears to be happening. Any ideas?